CONFINED SPACE RESCUE AND SAFETY (CSRS)
NFPA compliant | WSH (Confined Space) Regulations 2009 and SS506:2011 Compliant
Trainees will gain the skills and knowledge of the confined space work activities safety (PTW, gas detection, roles of the entrants, attendant and rescue personnel) and perform risk analysis to effects a rescue during a confined space emergency. Trainees will also be familiarize and be conscious of using the necessary rescue equipment including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to achieve a successful rescue mission and further apply the principles of first- aid in extracting a casualty from the confined space. This course will provide both theoretical and hands on practical exercises, in addition to also create awareness of confined space hazards and the consequences of something go wrong. Their readiness capitalizes quick response to incident shall ensure a successful mission in a confined space emergency and most importantly prevent loss of lives.
Length of Course: Two and a half days (20 Hours}
Prerequisites: All trainees must be certified by a doctor to be in good health.
A. INTRODUCTION & OBJECTIVE
· State the safety rules laid down by the Trainer, which must be obeyed during the course.
- To gain the skills and knowledge required to understand confined space hazards.
- To learn the correct safe work procedures, permit to work and lockout & tagout.
- To be competence using gas detection, rescue equipment and apply first-aid principles.
- To be successful in extracting the casualty and save his life.
B. INTRODUCTION TO CONFINED SPACE
Confined Space Hazards
- States the definition of confined space and permit required confined space.
- Lists the hazards of confined space as:
- Atmospheric hazards
- Physical hazards
- Heat stress
- Untrained entrants
Confined Space Permit Requirement
- Essential training for personnel:
- Confine space supervisor
- Authorized attendant
- Authorized entrant
- Atmospheric testing and ventilation
Product In a Confined Space
- Explain the physical and chemical properties.
- Assessed the following products from SDS in terms of:
- Vapor density
- Vapor pressure
- Flash point
- Flammable range
- Exposure limits and toxicity
C. ATMOSPHERIC TESTING AND VENTILATION
Type of Instrumentation
- Lists some of the basic detectors used as:
- Oxygen meter
- Combustible gas indicator
- Multi-gas detector
- Color metric tubes
- pH testing paper
Ventilating the Confined Space
- State the atmosphere in the space.
- The physical characteristic of the space
- The capacity and the availability of the air movers.
- Calculating the air volume and velocity
Lockout and Tag out
D. CONFINED SPACE INCIDENT MANAGEMENT
Principles of Incident Management
- Unity of command.
- Span of control
- Common terminology
- Resource management
- Incident priorities
E. CONFINED SPACE RESCUE EQUIPMENT
Software & Hardware
- Software equipment as:
- Kernmantle ropes (static and dynamic)
- Nylon webbings
- Harnesses (Class1, Class 2 & class 3)
- Hardware equipment as:
- Ascending devices
- Descending devices
- Retrieving System:
- Tripod and winch assembly
- Mechanical advantages
- Safety belay system
- Demonstrate of donning the SCBA
- Explain the essential components of SCBA
- Refresh first-aid knowledge
F. PRACTICAL EXERCISE
- Demonstrate Competent Of Using SCBA
- Assess The Knowledge Of First-aid
- Confined Space Simulator Entrance and Rescue (Site Availability)
G. DEBRIEFING AND EVALUATION